Everything You Need to Know About Vinyl Banners
There are many ways to communicate information, but vinyl banners are a classic and attention-grabbing medium still used to this day for many marketing and advertising campaigns to promote products, conferences or gatherings and various other events.
If they're designed and produced well, they can complement online efforts and contribute to a well-rounded and successful campaign, so it's vital you learn the ins and outs of vinyl banners. In this blog post, we will discuss everything from what vinyl banners are made of, designing vinyl banners and how to hang a vinyl banner effectively.
What are vinyl banners
Vinyl banners are large, flexible and durable advertising materials made from vinyl, a synthetic plastic material. They're popular to use in various marketing and promotional campaigns because of the following reasons:
- Cost-effectiveness — Vinyl banners are what enterprises of various scales use as a relatively inexpensive advertising medium compared to other forms of advertising, such as television commercials or print ads.
- Outdoor visibility — They are designed to withstand outdoor conditions, making them ideal for capturing attention in high-traffic areas on fences, poles, walls and buildings.
- Easy installation and portability — They are lightweight and straightforward to install, making them a convenient option for temporary marketing efforts, or rolled, stored and reused for future use.
- Targeted local advertising — Vinyl banners are what many businesses with a local presence use to target specific geographical areas and showcase specific offerings to their relevant target audience.
- Durability and longevity — High-quality vinyl banners are designed to be weather-resistant and durable, allowing them to withstand various weather conditions, including rain and wind, so your promotions are visible and effective for extended periods.
- Brand awareness — They can contribute to brand visibility and awareness, especially in areas with a consistent flow of pedestrian and vehicular traffic, especially when they are well-thought-out and designed.
- Traditional appeal — They also offer a nostalgic charm that appeals to certain demographics who appreciate classic marketing techniques by evoking a sense of familiarity and trust, especially when combined with a well-established brand.
How much does a vinyl banner cost
The total costs depend on the following factors:
- Material quality and printing method
- Design complexity
For small banners of about 610 mm x 1220 mm, it can cost you about $40 upwards per banner, but you can expect larger printing orders per design to cut some costs down.
Designing and effectively using vinyl banners
Here are some vinyl banner design tips that will ensure your banners print to the highest quality possible:
- For larger banners, use vector-based elements with a resolution of 150 dpi. For images like logos and photos, use 300 dpi.
- If you are using banners with grommets, consider the bleed area of banners and extend bleeds up to a square inch on all corners.
- Make sure you design files in CMYK, keeping in mind that advances in printing technology now enable the use of Pantones and even Fluro inks on banners. Screen colours may differ from final prints.
- Choose the appropriate vinyl type based on the location. Use glossy banners indoors and matte banners for outdoor advertising or according to the occasion.
- Avoid including information that may change, allowing banners to be reused. Opt for generic messaging instead of specific dates or prices.
How to hang a vinyl banner
- Determine the best method to hang your banners based on your targeted location and choose the right hardware accordingly.
- Measure the space for hanging carefully and consider mounting options like grommets or pole pockets. Remember to account for stretching room in your design if using ropes to tighten corners.
- After preparing the banners, acquiring them and your chosen display method, simply follow the instructions included in your banner stands, pole pockets or grommets. Installation is fairly simple — all that's left to do is display your banners, check for stability and maintain them throughout the promotional period.
Produce the best vinyl banners with CGS
At Creative Graphic Supplies (CGS), we have everything you need to produce the best vinyl banners. From high-quality vinyl banners and stands to our 80 years of combined experience in the print and signage industry, rest assured that CGS will provide you with the best solutions and expert advice with your every purchase.
CGS is your reliable business partner, so feel free to contact us for any questions or concerns.